Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Low Fat Veggie Enchiladas in a Salsa Roja...

Spice up your Sunday football parties with these Veggie Enchiladas! I have had such a craving for mexican food lately that for game day I decided to make something red to represent my team colors...49ers red with gold tequila. Here is a recipe I decided to throw together....


Salsa Roja




I love salsa and this is a quick version you can make extra to eat with chips or add to your eggs in the morning is my favorite!!


2  Ripe Tomatoes (or you can used canned whole tomatoes)

2 Cloves Garlic

2  Dried Pasilla Chilies

8 Dried Red Chillies 

1 Large Onion

Salt a pinch

Pepper a pinch

You can add a cup of chicken broth or veggie broth is fine too.

Boil all ingredients in a pot about 15 minutes

* Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth

**optional for me I usually like a Serrano Chile in mine if you like heat I don't take out the seeds.)

** If you have time I put the salsa back in the stove and let it boil an extra 10 min it settles the chile and evens out the heat you can adjust salt and pepper at this time : )

Rolling the enchiladas :

Pre heat oven to 400 degrees

Now I always put some sauce on the bottom of my enchilada pan before rolling my enchiladas. Just so it won't stick to the pan.


For the filling I did a mashed potatoe with some peas, and garlic. I also chopped some mushrooms, mad added low fat cheese to my filling.  You may add anything you want get creative you can sauté any vegetable as filling I bet broccoli or sweet potatoe or kale!!!



I loved this Flat out bread was great for these enchiladas, I can see doing burritos!! I assembled the enchiladas and rolled them they have fiber and only 100 Calories a piece. ( they are a good size too) I found them at my grocerie store in the bread isle. You can even make Pizza with it!!!!!


So I rolled them up and this was before I baked them

I added some other low fat cheese for color. I baked it in the oven for 15 - 20 minuted covered with foil. It's ready when all of the cheese on top is melted and gooey!!!!!

My finished product I added fresh cilantro!!

I made a side of veggies like Kale, Onion, carrots, mushrooms. Just to get extra veggies in my dinner! I also Paired it with a Paloma drink!! This Paloma drink is made in Mexico with tequila and lime and sugar and orange juice it is really good!!


Here is the finished Low Fat Veggie Enchiladas!! Let me know what your favorite filling is or why you love mexican food!!!!


Hope you enjoyed!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment